Help for Grenfell Tower
We all send our heartfelt sympathy to everyone affected in the terrible fire at Grenfell Tower in London. In particular to all those who have children, families and nursery staff affected.
We are contacting our members in and around that area of London to see what support they need, and what support they can offer families affected. For example, do they have capacity to take in additional children?
Talking to young children about traumatic events is very important but can be difficult. Here is some advice which may help
Latest updates on childcare in the area
- New home for the creche: the council has sourced a brand new building to house the assistance centre, which will be a long term home for the crèche and play room. The previous assistance centre was open seven days a week, offering a mixture of stay and play and entertainment. In the new premises (and in light of the summer holidays) it will now open Monday to Friday 10 to 5pm offering crèche and stay and play
- Summer holidays: there will be a full and free summer programme of play days, playschemes, residentials, fundays, off site trips, canoeing, sports and more kicking off on Monday 24 July for children across the borough
- Summer holiday scheme for young children: a Summer Holiday scheme for very young children - who during term time would ordinarily be accessing 2,3 and 4 year old funded places - has also been set up. The childcare will be offered 10 to 4 each day and provide much needed respite for parents who are now living in hotel accommodation. If you would like to offer activities or entertainment for children please email Emily.email@example.com, with children's entertainment in your subject header.
How can you help?
If you wish to donate money to help those who have been affected – many of whom have lost their homes and possessions – go to the Red Cross site here.
The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea was asking for volunteers, particularly those with specialist skills but currently have removed their appeal due to the huge volume of responses – however if you can help, please keep an eye on this page in case they ask for further support here.
If your setting is taking part in a #GoGreenforGrenfell day, you can donate to Grenfell Crèche here
Able to give practical and physical help?
A range of skills are needed: play therapy, group activities, generic, practitioners, educators and teachers, well-being, trauma, welfare, counselling. If you can provide practical and physical help, please email admin@LauraHenryConsultancy.com
- Your name
- Expertise: i.e. supplier, educator, entertainer
- Offer: What specifically can you offer?
- Availability, including weekends and evenings
- Do you have a current DBS
- Preferred contact number.
You can also email Emily.firstname.lastname@example.org
if you can offer: a four hour session of entertainment to a mixed age group on any coming Saturday, activities or entertainment for children, help with the laundry service or if you are trained to deliver complimentary therapy or know of any therapist in the West London area.