On 25 March the DfE issued new guidance around social distancing for children in emergency childcare settings. Key points include:
- People will only be allowed to leave their homes for:
- Shopping for basic necessities – this should be as infrequently as possible
- One form of exercise a day – for example a run, walk, or bike ride. This should be done alone or with members of their household
- Any medical need or to provide health/personal care to a vulnerable person
- Travelling to and from work – this should only be done where it is absolutely necessary and work cannot be done from home.
- The Government is closing all shops selling non-essential goods, including clothing and electronic stores. Other public spaces like libraries, playgrounds, outdoor gyms, and places of worship will also close.
- All gatherings of more than two people in public are banned – excluding people you live with.
- All social events, including weddings, baptisms and other ceremonies are banned but funerals are allowed to continue.
- Parks will remain open for exercise but gatherings will be dispersed by the police who will have the powers to ask people why they are out of their homes, issue fines and disperse groups.