Nursery sector greats sparkle at NDNA Nursery Awards
The National Day Nurseries Association Nursery Awards ceremony took place on 22 June 2018 at the Coventry Ricoh Arena, presented by BBC Midlands Journalist Sarah Bishop.
The prestigious awards acknowledged the best of the best with a celebration of excellence at our delightful awards evening.
Smarties Smartcare Ltd of Chester scooped the coveted Nursery of the Year Award as well as the category title for Central England.
An expert judging panel reviewed testimonials from families of the children that attend the nurseries in question so really are the ‘parents choice’.
Smarties Smartcare Ltd were crowned the winners of this award due to their provision of excellence in care and learning, ensuring standards set throughout the establishment are always to the highest level. The passionate team go above and beyond to support the children in their care to achieve independence and confidence.
Owner Annie Silcock said: “We are absolutely ecstatic. Smarties is one big family and I feel like a proud parent.
“It is wonderful that the dedication of our staff has been recognised.
“They were buzzing after the NDNA Conference and Alastair Bryce Clegg and we cannot wait to make further improvement at the nursery.
“Thank you to all our parents who voted for us.”
Purnima Tanuku OBE, Chief Executive of NDNA, said: “Congratulations to all of our winners, I am delighted for you all.
“The judging process was particularly difficult this year with so many high quality entries. However, shining tributes from family members of those children that attend these nurseries really helped us make our final decisions.
“The award winners were thoroughly deserving, as were our runners up and highly commended nurseries.”
The awards were held on the evening of NDNA’s annual nursery conference which was attended by hundreds of delegates from the early years sector.
We were joined at our awards dinner and show by around 300 guests from across the UK and beyond including members from the United Arab Emirates.
The other award recipients were as follows:
- North of England Nursery of the Year (sponsored by TTS Group and The Consortium) – Winner: Lancaster University Pre-School Centre, Lancaster. Runner up: Tudor House Day Nursery @ Shear Brow, Blackburn. Highly Commended: Wellington Villa Nursery, Greater Manchester; and The Railway Nursery, Stockport.
- South of England Nursery of the Year (sponsored by TTS Group and The Consortium) – Winner: The Rocking Horse Nursery, London. Runner Up: St. Patrick's Montessori Nursery, London. Highly Commended: Playbox Nursery, Kent.
- Central England Nursery of the Year (sponsored by TTS Group and The Consortium) – Runner Up: Beech House Nursery School, Hereford.
- Scotland Nursery of the Year (sponsored by TTS Group and The Consortium) – Winner: Mulberry Bush Montessori, Forest School & Nature Kindergarten, Glasgow. Runner Up: Bearsden South Church Nursery, Bearsden.
- Wales Nursery of the Year (sponsored by TTS Group and The Consortium) – Winner: Meithrinfa Si-Lwli, Cardiff. Runner Up: Red Balwn Coch, Cardiff.
- International Nursery of the Year – Winner: Aga Khan Early Learning Centre, Dubai. Runner Up: IDEA Early Learning Centre, Dubai.
- Healthy Nursery of the Year (sponsored by The Safer Food Group) – Winner: The Owl in the Tree Outdoor Nursery, Liddington. Runner Up: Bearsden South Church Nursery, Bearsden. Highly commended: Oakfield Nursery School Ltd.
- Technology Award (sponsored by spark) – Winner: Playbox Nursery, Kent. Runner Up: Little Einstein’s Day Care Ltd, Monmouth.
- Team Development (sponsored by Pound Gates Chartered Insurance Brokers) – Winner: Pear Tree Nursery, East Lothian. Runner Up: Muddy Boots Nursery (Cumbria) Ltd, Cumbria. Highly Commended: The Village Nursery, Manchester.
- Champions’ Award (sponsored by Christie & Co) – Winner: Gerry Garvey of Muddy Boots Nursery (Cumbria) Ltd, Cumbria. Runner Up: Kerry Maddock of Little Rainbows Day Nursery, Wirral. Highly Commended: Stacey Herrmann of Muddy Boots Nursery (Cumbria) Ltd.
- Practitioner of the Year (sponsored by Morgan La Roche) – Winner: Maxine Hill of Blue Grass Purple Cow, Higher Disley. Runner-up: Hannah Pearce of Little Rascals (Bilston), Bilston. Highly Commended: Terri Moran of The Railway Nursery, Stockport.
- Manager of the Year (sponsored by Citation) – Winner: Rebecca Slater – The Oaks Day Nursery and Pre School, Birmingham. Runner Up: Michelle Randle – Maple Leaf Day Care, Lincolnshire.
- England’s Outstanding Network Award – Winner: Wirral
- Scotland’s Outstanding Network Award – Winner: Dumfries and Galloway
- Wales’ Outstanding Network Award – Winner: Denbighshire and Conwy
- Outstanding Contribution Award – Winners: Maria Keaveney-Jessiman and Karen MacKay