Useful key facts about nurseries and childcare
You may find some of these key facts about the childcare sector useful for your article:
There are 20,816 nurseries in the UK (Nov 2014 figures).
In England, there are 17,900 nurseries (10, 919 private, 5,370 voluntary, 1,611 maintained) caring for around 1 million children. This is a 20% increase in the number of children attending since 2008.
- The average number of childcare places per nursery is 45
- 60% of mothers with children under 5 are working
- 233,200 people work in full day care - DFE Childcare Providers Survey 2013
- Regulatory framework: Early Years Foundation Stage (0-5 years); Ofsted.
In Wales, there are 477 private, voluntary and maintained nurseries.
- 17,557 workforce across the childcare sector e.g. full day care/sessional care/childminders/crèche etc. - Care Council for Wales Workforce report 2012
- Regulatory framework: Foundation Phase (3-7 years); Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales (CSSIW).
In Scotland, there are 3,783 childcare providers (including all childcare to age 15 – Childcare Inspectorate statistics 2013).
- 30,250 people in the childcare workforce (excluding childminders) – Scottish Social Services sector report 2013.
- Regulatory framework: Curriculum for Excellence (3-18 years) and Pre-Birth to Three; Care Inspectorate (Social Care and Social Work Improvement Scotland - SCSWIS)